Monday, August 11, 2014

Milestones

This past week I've been reminded of what it's like to see your child reach a major milestone. Our milestones have always been on a super slow track for Tyley Sue, and lately have just kind of been at a stand still it seems like. I have learned to greatly appreciate the milestones-both big and small- that she reaches. I also think I have a deeper appreciation for Elijah reaching his on time and early. As he took his first steps this week, I celebrated! It's so exciting to see him take his steps, use a pincer grasp to pick things up, investigate him toys and play appropriately with them, and to hear him babble and say "mama" and "dada"; these are words we still don't hear Tyley Sue say at 3 years old. I have learned that there is no comparison in my two kiddos. They are each unique and will do things on their own time and I'm so thankful for them both!!

As Tyley Sue starts school this week, she's reaching a new milestone of her own. I would say that my nerves are a little on edge with some fears. Probably not the same fears other mothers have as their kiddos started school this week, but fears nonetheless. I'm super nervous about her putting everything in her mouth and eating non-food items. It would happen on the regular, multiple times a day, if we weren't diligent in watching her every move. I know they will push her, and I pray that they can help her progress. I want her to gain new experiences that will grow her and stretch her; but I want her to be safe too. I'm nervous about her not being able to communicate her needs and wants, and I'm praying that they can be patient as she attempts, in her own way, to tell them what she needs. I'm hoping that the "typical peers" in her class don't hold her teachers back from giving her and others like her the attention and support they need. I know the teachers are nervous about this as well and I pray that they will be able to balance meeting the needs of all the children in her class. As I sit here and type in all my fears and things that I'm nervous about, I'm reminded of how this helps nothing! God has a way of calling me out when I need it, thankfully!  Matthew 6:34 says,

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

And then in John 14 he says:

"Peace I leave with you; my peach I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

So, I will do my best to quit worrying and just pray a little more about it. I know God's at work in our lives and this is all a part of his plan to reach others using Tyley Sue!

No comments:

Post a Comment